Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The price of freedom is freedom (?)

The freedoms that the people of the US, Canada, Australia and most European nations have could be having the result of the loss of those very freedoms!

It's a bit of a conundrum - you have the freedom of free speech that allows you to spew hatred (for example, to support Palestine and attack Jews) and soon you will lose that freedom as those who abuse it then gain power. The loud minorities are permitted to say whatever they want, but those that hold to their values are persecuted for repressing free speech!

I will not feel guilty for being a Christian, even as the atheists, muslims and others persecute Christians without restraint (personal or governmental). But when a Christian responds, or expresses an opinion against those evil minorities, they are told to shut up or risk arrest. My daughter was told she couldn't doodle a cross in her notebook in school. There was no problem with doodling a tree, there wouldn't have been a problem with a pentagram or muslim symbol, but she was not allowed to draw a cross. This country was populated and founded by people who were seeking to escape prosecution for their faith, and they happened to be Christian. That is our heritage, and it cannot be changed. We are guaranteed freedom OF religion by the constitution, not freedom FROM religion. You do whatever your want with your faith, but I have the right to practice mine - and I will not be limited to doing so in private!

I will not be persecuted for being proud to be an American, and to display it. I will get hassled, though, if I protest the singing of our National Athem in Spanish. I will protest it, though, you can believe that!

I will not feel guilty for being white, either. Let me be clear on this: I am not prejudiced. I have no ill will against any person based on the color of their skin or their religious choice, or any other element of diversity. But, I have not persecuted anyone for those things, so I will not be made to feel guilty for it either. I am saddened by the bad treatment of Native Americans, blacks, Asians, Jews and every other group/race/people in the past. It was wrong. But I didn't do it, there is nothing I can do to change it, and I will not feel guilt for not being in one of those classes, or for being in the one I am in. Also, I do not believe that anyone in those examples deserve special treatment or reparations for that, either. All people should be treated equally, me included.

We need to protect our freedoms, and not allow the same freedoms to give others the power to restrict ours.

Tolerance is a wonderful thing - but if you don't agree with me, that's fine, but do not be intolerant and try to prevent me from disagreeing with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment